Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Why my results mean nothing



Firstly, I have only interviewed two people (well really it's five but am yet to determine if I should include their stuff).  They are however senior people, so they should offer a higher level perspective than a lower level developer might, but it's difficult to assert much of anything based on what two people think of a situation.

Second, I did not ask the right questions, or the questions to match my initial thoughts.  However, my initial thoughts have guided me to this point.  Then again, it should be from the results that the discussion arises; answers to the questions I did ask form the backbone of this discussion.  For instance, negative perception; I asked what they thought of GDE and almost to a man (or woman) the comments were disparaging.  Incidentally, I may have to justify why I aligned a certain comment with a particular theme.  Expanding on the questions that were asked and the context in which the quote arose may do, or it may cause me to reshuffle which theme these quotes fit into.

Third, have I uncovered anything original?  I have specifically addressed the Australian industry which is unique in that it has been borne off the back of fee for service but now finds itself drifting toward a more indie setup.  Does this constitute an original contribution?  I have determined that the games industry thinks poorly of GDE.  The question is why?  The answer to this question is potentially an original contribution.  Can I answer it?  Perceived lack of understanding from the educational end.  Also, basic disinterest about GDE.  It's simply not a priority for developers right now.  Asserting the value of a team ethic is not original, it's been asserted in literature.  Education is devalued and has no further role to play in the minds of developers.  Education needs to be able to offer more; the concepts handed to student groups idea is one possible way.  Explore alternative means of interaction, contrast to current interaction.

Another possible contribution is the educational background of developers and the dearth of GDE qualifications among them.  This ties in to the qualitative aspects of the study, where GDE is rather frowned upon.  This perhaps allows me to illustrate A) that devs aren't really hiring GDE grads and B) as evidenced by the statistical lack of GDE grads from the survey data.  List the reasons why according to the interviewees, then supplement with quantitative data as intended in the Methodology chapter.  It's brilliant! (no it isn't (quiet you!)).

Fourth, will I answer my questions?  The educational background one seems like a dead cert.  The perception one also seems like a dead cert, though perhaps the questions can be broader.  Perhaps a question about the role of GDE in the future based on the responses?

The issue is the themes I have and how to shoehorn them under the questions.  Perhaps the question of educational background can encompass the Developer education, Skills, Graduate opportunities and Extra-curricular work themes?  Aha!  The perception one, a broader topic, can encompass the negative perception and interaction themes, while the industry and future themes can fit into a third question, perhaps.  I'll go with that for now.  Maybe graduate opportunities can be a floater... hmm.

More later.  Now, writing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment